Organizer: Economic and Social Research Foundation (ESRF) and Embassy of Sweden incollaboration with the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania
Event Date: 02-05-2018
Venue: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The Economic and Social Research Foundation (ESRF) and the Swedish Embassy in collaboration with the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania through Ministry of Finance and Planning (MOFP) are organizing a conference with a theme of “Equitable Growth and Human Development in Resource Based Economy: Dialogue on Stockholm Statement for Tanzania”. This conference aims at providing a platform for discussion and reflection to key priorities and recommendations for economic policy choices in Tanzania to support inclusive economic development. The thrust of this conference is to discuss the eight principles of the Stockholm Statement and the way they can inform design of development policies in Tanzania and similar resource rich economies of Africa.
In September 2016, thirteen world class economists met in Stockholm Sweden under the aegis of Swedish Agency for International Development Cooperation (SIDA) to discuss challenges faced by today’s economic policy makers. Toward the end of the meeting, the economists issued a statement outlining an emerging consensus on principles for policy making for the contemporary world. This consensus is encapsulated in a set of 8 principles collectively known the name of “Stockholm Statement”. During the conference, the participants will have an opportunity of discussing the eight principles of the Stockholm Statement and the way they inform design policy development processes especially in relation to inclusive development.
Some of the key speakers who have already confirmed their participation to the conference include:-
- Prof. Joseph Stiglitz, Nobel Laureate Professor, Columbia University (2001) and a former member and chairman of the (US President’s) council of economic advisors.
- Prof. Sabina Alkire, Director of the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative, Oxford University.
- Prof. Kaushik Basu, Professor of Economics, Cornel University, Ithaca and Former Chief Economist of the World Bank
The events include:-
- Public lecture at the University of Dar es Salaam on Monday 30th April 2018 from 03:00PM to 05:00PM
- The main conference on Wednesday 2nd May 2018 from 08:00am to 05.00PM.
- Roundtable dialogue with key policy makers in the government particularly ministers, deputy ministers and permanent secretaries on Thursday 3rd May 2018 from 09:00am to 12:00PM.